Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Causality and Free Will

I recently had the unpleasant realization that two concepts I've been believing in seem to be mutually exclusive. The one is causality and the other is free will.

I see the universe as matter exchanging energy in different layers of complexity. Matter is interacting following the laws of physics and forming more and more complex structures (which again is a natural law). Atoms form molecules, molecules might form cells and DNA, hormones and all the other building blocks of living organisms. Living organisms exist in all sizes and complexities and might even form new systems, herds, flocks, societies...

And I tend to agree with Laplace who says:
We may regard the present state of the universe the effect of its past and the cause of its future.

Following this line of thought would mean to accept that what an individual thinks or does is determined by the nature and current state of the system we call life. This raises an important question:

Is there any plausible evidence or even a indication that any of us is more then a mere puppet in a fancy play?

Now, I like fancy plays. I could deal with life having no greater purpose. But it's hard to accept that freedom of choice is a mere illusion. Whenever I make a choice a person with the same genes, conditioned like me, in the same situation would act the same. But if I am determined in my choices of actions, then I'm like other mechanical things that are determined in their behaviour.

In this case noone would be morally responsible for his actions. There would be no justification for punishment or praise, pride or regret. And there would be no reason to respect a persons autonomy if that individual has no control over his fate anyway.
This bothers me because I've always considered individual liberty to be the most important goal for a society to strive for. A uncomfortable clash of principles. :/

No comments: